Stefan Arestis | Jun 10, 2017 | 4
Our Sri Lanka travel video
Our Sri Lanka travel video includes our favourite memories as we ate our way through this tropical pearl shaped island.
- we started in Colombo and used nearby Negombo as our base then started a some incredible train journeys from Kandy to Nuwara Eliya through the tea plantations and then through the clouds from Nuwara Eliya and to Ella.
- Ella was a highlight with the trek to Ella Rock giving us some of our favourite images of our travels.
- we obviously ate lots of delicious Sri Lankan food and were amazed at the variety of delicious curries from any fruit or vegetable you can imagine like pineapple, jack fruit, or our favourite, garlic curry.
- we took a whale watching safari at Mirissa with Raja & the Whales.
- and we splurged on a 3 days safari at Udawalawe and Yala National Parks, spotting leopards at Udawalawe, hungry elephants, cheeky monkeys and lots of pretty birds.
The video was made using the video editor “MAGIX Movie Edit pro 2013”. The music used in the video is “Mal Madahasa” by Randhir featuring Bathiya, Umara.
Sri Lanka travel recommendations
Transportation: First, there is no need to stress about getting taxis around the capital. Uber is heavily used in Colombo airport as well as Colombo city and if you've never used it before, we give you your 1st ride for free using this link. To go to Kandy, Nuwara Elya or Ella, just take the train: the landscapes are stunning, tickets are cheap and it is an amazing adventure.
Travel insurance: Whether you go on a safari in Yala National Park, scuba diving in Unawatuna, hiking in Ella or just lay on the beach all day long in Negombo, you need travel insurance. We use World Nomads because they offer considerable coverage especially for adventure travellers. They also make it easy to make a claim as it’s all done online.
Flights: Flying domestically in Sri Lanka doesn't make much sense, you're better off taking the train. For international flights, flying to Sri Lanka can be expensive, Google flights can help you find cheap fares and Momondo is our favourite website to book airfares. In addition, flights from Sri Lanka to India and The Maldives are cheap so don't miss out on the opportunity.
Hotels: Sri Lanka has a huge diversity of accommodation options. Make sure you check out our Sri Lanka content for hotel recommendations first. Tripadvisor is also a good place to start researching places to stay and activities to do. Going to the hotel in person and negotiating the price face to face will most of the time result in cheaper prices compared to what you would get online. But if like us, you're a bit of a control freak and like planning ahead, we recommend using Booking.com to find the best deals and book your accommodation online.