Stefan Arestis | Jun 10, 2017 | 0
Cambodian beef lok lak recipe
Lok lak is a Cambodian beef stir fry served with onions, cucumbers and tomatoes, and dipped in a sauce containing lime juice, salt and pepper.
Chicken can be used as an alternative and for vegetarians use tofu.
It is commonly served with rice, a fried egg and a separate plate of lettuce leaves. The lettuce leaves are used to wrap the beef inside and then dip into the sauce.
We took a cooking course in Siem Reap with our friend Jess and had to fight over the end result as this recipe was sufficient to feed only 2 greedy boys.
Ingredients for beef lok lak
- 300g beef cut thin slice
- 60g of light soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon of oyster sauce
- 1 tablespoon of tomato ketchup
- 3 tablespoons of sugar
- 1 teaspoon of black ground pepper
- 1 teaspoon of fish sauce
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil
Ingredients for serving the beef lok lak
- 1 fried egg (optional)
- 2 tomatoes
- 1 cucumber peeled and finely sliced
- half an onion peeled and finely sliced
- 1 spring onion finely chopped
- 100g of iceberg lettuce
Ingredients for beef lok lak dipping sauce
- juice of 1 lime
- 2 teaspoons of black ground pepper
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 1 tablespoon of water
How to make beef lok lak
- In a large bowl, mix the beef with 60g of light soy sauce, 1 tablespoon of oyster sauce, 1 tablespoon of tomato ketchup, 1 teaspoon of fish sauce, 1 teaspoon of black ground pepper and the 2 chopped garlic cloves. Let it rest for 1 hour in the fridge.
- In the meantime, combine the ingredients for the dipping sauce in a small bowl then cover with cling film and keep refrigerated until serving.
- Decorate 2 serving plates with the ingredients for serving: sliced tomatoes, sliced cucumber, chopped spring onion and in a separate plate place the lettuce. If serving a fried egg, prepare this and serve in each plate as well with a serving of rice as well.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil on high heat then add the marinated beef and stir fry it for around 4-5 minutes: until it is cooked.
- Divide the beef between the two serving plates.