Latvia was our first country on our Asian Adventure. Riga was our springboard from Europe into Russia for the Trans Siberian.
- we spent 4 days in Riga and each spent £117 / $172
- this works out to a per person daily average of: £29 / $42
- the exchange rate was: £1 = €1.2 / $1 = €1.28
This is the breakdown of our Latvia travel costs:
- We stayed at the Cinnamon Sally Backpackers Hostel paying £8 / $12 each a night for a dorm.
- We thought we would “test” dorms and quickly learnt this is not for us.
- Main cost was food but we always ate in cheap canteen like restaurants and did a lot of cooking in the hostel kitchen.
- The “Other” included stocking up on miscellaneous items we forgot to buy in London like Sebastien’s creams
- We did not include a heading for Visa as there is nothing to pay for Latvia for EU citizens.
- We also didn't include our flight in from London with Ryanair (£58 pp).
Watch our Trans Siberian travel video and enjoy our time in RIga, Latvia and our train travel through Russia.
OUR FAVOURITE TRAVEL TIPS
⭐️ TRAVEL INSURANCE — We recommend you always take out travel insurance before your next vacation. What happens if you suffer from illness, injury, theft or a cancellation? With travel insurance, you can have peace of mind and not worry. We love World Nomads travel insurance and have been using it for years. Their comprehensive coverage is second to none and their online claims process is very user friendly.
⭐️ SAFETY & SECURITY — All travelers can sometimes encounter danger when traveling. CloseCircle is your “virtual body guard” mobile app which provides security alerts and support wherever you are in the world. They have a 24/7 emergency response team monitoring their users who will contact you immediately if the SOS swipe button is activated. Support can include anything from practical advice, to free evacuation from areas with extreme weather or security risks. You can read more about CloseCircle in our article about how to stay safe whilst traveling.
⭐️ ONLINE ANONYMITY — A VPN (Virtual Private Network) is a must in many countries: it allows you to surf anonymously and maintain your privacy whilst traveling. You'll particularly need it in countries where dating apps are blocked by the government. We recommend ExpressVPN, a reliable and cost effective service which we used and loved during our travels.
⭐️ HOTELS or APARTMENTS — When we plan a trip, we always look for the best hotel deals. We love Booking.com because not only do they have a comprehensive listing of accommodation options, they also offer the best prices. Added bonus: they provide 24/7 support and free cancellation for most listings.
⭐️ SIGHTSEEING and ADVENTURES — When we travel somewhere, we like to seek out the best experiences, whether it is cooking with locals in Bangkok, hiking on a glacier in Patagonia, or going on a wildlife safari in Sri Lanka. Our favorite place to look is GetYourGuide because they have over 30,000 highly rated activities, a user-friendly booking process with free cancellation and a 24 hour customer support.
This article contains affiliate links. If you click on them, we may receive compensation which keeps our website alive and helps us bring you to more destinations.