Stefan Arestis | Aug 29, 2017 | 4
South Indian fish Molee recipe
Fish Molee is a popular dish in South India, commonly served at large family gatherings, particularly at weddings.
Molee means ‘stew’ and the fish is marinated in a spicy coconut mixture. It is served with palappam (a type of pancake made with fermented rice batter and coconut milk).
Ingredients to make south Indian fish Molee
- 500g of white fish (like haddock) cut into small 4cm pieces
- 2 onions sliced
- 1 tablespoon of fresh crushed ginger
- 3 cloves of crushed garlic
- 3 sliced green chillis
- 10 curry leaves
- 4 cardamom
- 4 cloves
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 3 sliced tomatoes
- Half teaspoon of turmeric powder
- 2 teaspoons of chilli powder
- around 4 tablespoons of tamarind fruit
- 150ml of boiling water
- 200ml of coconut milk
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 1 tablespoon of coconut oil for cooking (alternatively use canola or vegetable oil)
How to make south Indian fish molee
- Prepare the tamarind juice: place around 4 tablespoons of tamarind fruit in a bowl and with enough water to cover. Squeeze the fruit in the liquid so it comes off the stone, disregard the stones and let it rest.
- Heat oil in a pan and add mustard seeds. Cook uncovered on a high heat until they start to pop.
- Add the curry leaves, chopped onions and sliced green chillis and continue to cook uncovered but on a medium heat.
- Once the onions start to soften (after around 5 minutes), mix in the chopped garlic, ginger, half teaspoon of turmeric, 2 teaspoons of chilli powder, around 4 tablespoons of the tamarind liquid (adjust according to preference) and a teaspoon of salt.
- Cook for a further 2 minutes on a medium heat, uncovered.
- Reduce heat to a low simmer and mix in half of the coconut milk (100ml) and 150ml of boiling water. Cook for 2 minutes on a low heat.
- Add the pieces of fish and continue to cook on a low heat for 5 minutes.
- Add 1 of the sliced tomatoes and the remaining 100g of coconut milk and cook for a further 5 minutes on a low heat.
- Remove pan from heat, garnish with the remaining 2 sliced tomatoes and serve hot with palappam.